Special Event Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Special Events within the City of Bend are required to have a City Special Event Permit

Does your event need a Special Event Permit?

An event needing a Special Event and Right-of-way Permit from the City of Bend is a gathering of more than 150 persons that is open to the public and takes place on City property or right-of-way.

Don't need a permit but still want to close an alley, lane, road or use City property?

You will still need a Right-of-way Permit for this use. Please see item #5 below.

2018 Application Packet

New Events: Applications for new special events must be submitted no less than 90 days prior to the event, in order to allow enough time for review by all City departments, especially if the event requires a lane/road closure. 

Repeat Events: Applications for established special events must be submitted no less than 60 days prior to the event. If you have a personal deadline, besides the event start date, please notify the City of what that date is and submit your application with sufficient review time prior to that date. 

All Events: A Right-of-Way (ROW) Permit is required for all City-permitted special events and a Special Event Permit will not be issued without this approval for use of the City ROW. Submit the application for this permit by visiting the Private Development Engineering Department no less than 90 days prior to the event start date. Please visit www.bendoregon.gov/rowpermit to complete the application. For questions, please contact the Private Development Engineering Department at comdeveng@bendoregon.gov or (541) 388-5580.

Please be sure to also submit an application for a Noise Variance if your event involves amplified sound. An Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) Special Event License may be necessary for your event. You may find more information on the OLCC website.

The City will maintain a calendar listing of the date and location of all special event dates and locations. Existing events have precedence over new events.  

A complete Special Event Permit Application includes the following components:

  1. A completed application - Once this has been submitted to Lorelei Williams, Program Coordinator at the City of Bend, you will be emailed with further instructions to upload the rest of your required documents to the City's review software, ePlans. Helpful videos on how to use this software may be found here

  2. Accessibility Plan - If using ADA parking signs for your event, which is a requirement if your event will block access to already existing ADA parking spaces, then ADA parking signs will need to be returned to the City of Bend in the same state they were received by the applicant. Applicants should pick up and return ADA signs during normal business hours. The applicant will be responsible for the reimbursement of costs incurred by the City as a result of the special event and the utilization of the ADA signs. Please also follow the City of Bend Accessibility Guidelines | Downtown Accessibility Parking Map

  3. Parking Plan - Adequate parking must be shown to be available for a special event. Please submit a description or map of the parking/shuttle services for your event. Accessible parking facilities and transportation shall be shown in the parking plan, as well. Permits for parking in the Downtown District may be purchased through Diamond Parking at 541-317-2805.

  4. Communication PlanA communications plan is required for communication with event organizers in case of an emergency before, during or after your event. Please provide the City with at least two emergency contacts for your event. For example, you may have an event organizer, a traffic control manager and an OLCC point of contact. If this is the case, please provide the names and contact information for all three people in your application. The contact information will be provided to emergency services.

    If you are serving alcohol at your event, plan to have more than 500 people attend and have submitted a Plan to Manage to the OLCC for your event, please also submit this plan and documentation with your City of Bend Special Event Permit application. The OLCC also requires that security be provided for events with more than 500 attendees. For more information about the Plan to Manage Special Events, visit the OLCC website and find more information on our site here. Event security personnel may be required by the City of Bend. 

  5. Traffic Control Plan - This will be submitted as part of the ROW Permit Application. A traffic control plan shall show vehicle traffic flow, including any detours or lane closure. The traffic control plan must be stamped by a registered professional engineer in order to obtain a Right-of-Way (ROW) Permit. Additional fees will be assessed for the review given by the City of Bend Private Development Engineering Department. This permit is in addition to the Special Event Permit and must be purchased prior to issuance of the Special Event Permit. For more information, please review the ROW Permit Information | ROW Permit ApplicationTraffic Control Plan Checklist | Oregon Temporary Traffic Control Handbook 2011 | Example 1 | Example 2 | Example 3

  6. Sanitation Plan - The special event permittee shall provide sanitary facilities that are in accordance with applicable regulations. Sanitation Matrix

  7. Downtown Sanitation Standards - The City requires special event organizers to contract or provide for their own garbage service as needed for their event, and are NOT to use other private business dumpsters in downtown alleys or in the Mirror Pond garbage enclosures.

    Event organizers should also recognize their impact on the streetscape garbage cans during a downtown event and include the servicing of these streetscape cans as part of their overall event waste management plan and final cleanup sweep. Event organizers should take steps to empty streetscape cans and consolidate this waste with the rest of their event-related garbage. This garbage is NOT to be placed in nearby private business dumpsters. Replacing any liners or bags for these streetscape cans is also expected and appreciated. Downtown Portable Toilet Sites

  8. Fire Protection Plan - Special events shall comply with the Oregon Fire Code and provisions in the Bend Code related to fire protection. General Requirements Form | Non-fixed Food Concession Inspection Requirements | Open Cooking Concession Inspection Requirements | Performance with Fire Requirements | Public Assemblages & Events

  9. Site Map  - Showing the location to be used for the event and that it is adequate for the number of persons reasonably anticipated to attend. It should include accessible parking and seating, sanitary facilities, routes of travel, signage, loading zones, portable restrooms, vendor booths locations, alcohol service locations, event parking, etc. - Example

  10. Proof of Notice - Notice of the proposed event must be given to any affected neighborhood associations and for events in the downtown district, to the Downtown Bend Business Association. A neighborhood association is affected by an event if the event is held within or adjacent to the boundaries of the neighborhood. Submit acknowledgment from the associations as proof of notification. Sample Notice Letter

  11. Evidence of Insurance - Applicant agrees to provide liability insurance for the event. This policy shall provide coverage of not less than $2,000,000 for injury to each person and $2,000,000 for each occurrence involving property damage, or a single-limit policy of not less than $2,000,000 per occurrence to cover all claims. If your event will have inflatables, petting zoos, animal rides, etc., you will be required to provide proof that your insurance policy covers these types of activities that will be present at the event. If the policy excludes these types of activities, then a Special Event Permit will not be issued unless sufficient insurance is provided or the uncovered activities are removed from the event. The policy will be primary and non-contributory to any insurance maintained by the City of Bend and will name as additional insureds the City of Bend, its officers, agents, and employees. If alcohol is served during the event, additional coverage is required. The event organizer agrees to maintain continuous coverage for the duration of the permit. A certificate of insurance and endorsement shall be provided to the City as part of this application. Failure to provide a valid certificate of insurance and endorsement will result in denial of your permit.

Event Helper - The Event Helper may be a good option for obtaining the liability coverage required by the public entity. It is a web-based organization specializing in special event coverage. They cover a wide variety of events, offer liquor liability, and provide limits up to $2,000,000, all at a reasonable cost. The website is easy to navigate and will provide a quote within seconds. A certificate of coverage is emailed directly to the public entity as confirmation of coverage, once the coverage is purchased. Event Helper Flyer | Event Helper Website

NOTE:  Any application not containing ALL the necessary information/documentation will be deemed incomplete and not be processed.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to be sure that all documentation is uploaded to ePlans for staff review. Fill out the application and email to Lorelei Williams, Program Coordinator, at lwilliams@bendoregon.gov after which, you will receive further instructions on the upload process. 

Additional requirements may apply for the following:
  1. Parades - The application shall also include the route of the parade and assembly points, the proposed starting and ending time and the estimated number of participants (persons, vehicles and animals). The City may deny parade permits to avoid impact on transportation, businesses and public infrastructure projects.  

  2. Downtown Events - Please visit the Economic Development Downtown & Parking page for more information on holding special events in downtown Bend. No more than three special events per month requiring a street closure are allowed in the downtown district during July and August. No more than two events per month requiring a street closure are allowed at any other time. Please contact Rod Porsche and the Downtown Bend Business Association to inform them of your proposed event, as well. If you plan to use the Riverfront Plaza, please contact Crow's Feet Commons at 541-728-0066.

    • Downtown Electricity Access- Due to recent modifications of the outlets in the downtown area, adapters are required for events that desire to use public electricity. Please fill out the Outlet Adapter Reservation Form and also provide a deposit payment to the City of Bend of $110 per adapter needed. The deposit will be refunded to you when the adapters are returned to the City of Bend in the same condition in which they were issued prior to the event. These items can be included in your application materials. 

  3. Events on Bend Parks and Recreation District (BPRD) property - Please visit their website for more information.

  4. Events in the Old Mill District - Please visit their website for more information. 

Bend City Code - Chapter 7.40 - Special Events

Questions or comments may be addressed to Lorelei Williams, Program Coordinator, via phone (541) 323-8565 or email lwilliams@bendoregon.gov.