Welcome to the Vehicle for Hire Operating License Program!
The City of Bend defines a Vehicle for Hire (VFH) as any vehicle used for the ground transportation of passengers for compensation within the City, including taxis and Transportation Network Companies (TNC) vehicles, as well as animal-drawn vehicles and vehicles powered by humans, including but not limited to vehicles such as pedicabs.
VFH OPERATING LICENSE PROGRAM
The City Council of Bend adopted Ordinance 2287 amending the Bend Code to repeal existing Chapter 7.35 Taxicabs, and to replace it with new Chapter 7.35, Vehicles for Hire (VFH). The new City Code will be effective as of May 1, 2017. Application materials and payment will not be accepted by the City of Bend until May 1, 2017.
Here is what you need to know about this program:
- All vehicle for hire companies are required to obtain a VFH Operating License for operations within Bend city limits.
- VFH Operating Licenses are issued to companies and not to individual drivers who will no longer need an individual license.
- All existing Taxicab Operator Permits issued prior to May 1, 2017 will expire automatically on December 31, 2017.
- Current Taxicab Operator Permits are valid until January 1, 2018, unless the permit holder wishes to apply under the new chapter at an earlier date.
- VFH Operating License terms will begin in January and end in December annually.
- Companies are required to also have an active Bend Business Registration and an Oregon State Business Registration.
- The City of Bend may audit VFH company records up to two times a year.
TAXI COMPANIES & TRANSPORTATION NETWORK COMPANIES (TNC)
Taxi companies are defined by the City of Bend as any person or entity operating one or more vehicles for hire, other than as a driver, regardless of the legal form of the entity and regardless of whether the taxis so operated are owned by the company, or leased, or owned by the individual members of an entity. Taxi companies do not include TNCs.
Transportation Network Companies are defined by the City of Bend as a company or other entity that exclusively uses an Internet-enabled platform or application to connect passengers with vehicles for hire and/or TNC drivers.
Additional Required Materials - Further explanation and instructions are located in the applications
- Certificates of Insurance
- Government Issued Photo Identification of Business Owner(s)
- Photo of Vehicle Identification - Display, Placard, Insignia or Trade Dress
- Application Fee Payment - $285 Taxi | $680 TNC
- Mail application, materials and check payment to the City of Bend ATTN: Lorelei Williams at 710 NW Wall St. Bend, OR 97703.
- Submit application, materials and payment in person to the Permit Center on the 1st floor of City Hall, 710 NW Wall St. Bend, OR 97703. Hours are Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org and make payment over the phone by calling the Utility Billing Offices at 541-388-5515 and pressing 0.