The average Bend homeowner uses more water outdoors than they do indoors. This is largely due to the use of water for landscape irrigation purposes. Understanding this, it is important to ensure the water we’re using for irrigation is used without waste.
That means conducting regular system inspections, making routine irrigation schedule adjustments and ensuring that no irrigation is over-spraying or running off onto adjacent surfaces is the responsibility of the system owner. Avoid the “set it and forget it” mentality and manage water carefully in the landscape.
- No irrigation 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Even addresses irrigate on even days
- Odd addresses irrigate on odd days
- Zero sprinkler overspray and runoff
Waterwise Irrigation Guide
The WaterWise Irrigation Guide covers nearly every aspect of residential landscape irrigation systems. It touches on sprinkler types, drip irrigation, landscape water needs and proper scheduling. The Guide offers a variety of more technical Pro Tips for those more familiar with the subject.
Sprinkler Inspection Program - SEASON CLOSED - REOPENS JUNE 2020
The City of Bend offers free sprinkler inspections through the Sprinkler Inspection Program. Inspections are conducted by trained City staff and include a visual inspection, schedule review, system tests, new or proposed schedule, and plenty of question and answers.
- Sprinkler Inspection Program
Smart Irrigation Controllers
Irrigation controllers are becoming more and more technologically advanced. Smart irrigation controllers, the term given to controllers that automatically adjust to environmental conditions, now have the capability to communicate with home WiFi systems, sense local weather conditions and even alert you when issues like leaks occur.
Common Irrigation Problems & Easy Fixes
Irrigation systems require regular maintenance to stay efficient. Tilted or broken sprinklers, excessive system pressure, overspray and runoff all contribute to water waste when left unchecked. Do your part and conduct regular inspections of your irrigation system.
Additional Information and Resources
- City of Bend - WaterWise Landscape Irrigation: Common Problems & Easy Fixes fact sheet
- City of Bend – Outdoor WaterWise brochure
- Oregon State University Extension (www.extension.oregonstate.edu)
- EPA WaterSense (www.epa.gov/watersense)
- Alliance for Water Efficiency (www.a4we.org)
- Irrigation Association (www.irrigation.org)