COVID-19 INFO: City closures and cancellations, resources for businesses and people.


Sidewalk Program and Compliance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 Example of Damaged Sidewalk

Sidewalk maintenance, compliance requirements, sidewalk repair and other resources.


Why did I receive a sidewalk letter? 

You have received a letter because of a deficiency or maintenance issue with sidewalk adjacent to your property, brought to our attention through a complaint the City received. See City Code 3.30.020

How do I know my sidewalk is out of compliance? 

Sidewalk deficiencies may include heaving, tripping hazard surface deficiencies, lifting due to tree root, cracking, sloping, etc. 

Who is responsible for the sidewalk in front of my house?

Per  City Code 3.30.020 Property owners are responsible of maintaining sidewalks adjacent to their property in good repair and unobstructed.  You will need a right-of-way permit from the City to complete repairs (see more information on right-of-way permits below).

Who can fix my sidewalk? 

The sidewalk is part of the City's right-of-way, and the City requires that anyone working within the City right-of- way be a licensed contractor who is qualified to work in the City. For more information see Private Development Engineering F.A.Q.s and the Pre-Qualified Contractor Program

Who and What is a City Qualified Contractor?

A City qualified contractor is one that meets criteria, such as having the appropriate level of insurance, and is listed in the City's Qualified Contractors List that is updated every day. For more information see Private Development Engineering F.A.Q.s and Pre-Qualified Contractor Program.  


What if I have a contractor who is not a City Qualified Contractor?

In order to work within the City's right-of-way, the contractor would need to become a qualified contractor by completing the Pre-Qualified Contractor Program. For more information see Private Development Engineering F.A.Q.s.  

What do I do if my sidewalk is out of compliance due to a tree?

As a property owner, you are responsible for trees on your property, as well as for maintaining the health of trees in the right-of-way between your property and the nearest travel lane. See City Code 3.60.050 Responsibility of Adjacent Property Owners.

A tree permit may be required to remove a tree located on your property (i.e. not in City right-of-way), and a permit will be required if the tree is in the public right-of-way. For more information, see Private Development Engineering F.A.Q.s  and the Tree Removal Permit.  If you do not want to remove the tree, you may need to hire an arborist to determine what needs to be done to repair the sidewalk and keep the tree.

How much is a right-of-way permit for sidewalk repair?

Each right-of-way permit is based on the scope of work to be completed. To learn more, please contact the Permit Center Monday through Friday at (541) 388-5580.



If you have questions, please contact the City of Bend Streets & Operations Department at (541) 317-3000 ext. 3, or complete a Citizen Service Request form. Thank you.



Footer Broken Top Three Sisters