Street Operations and Maintenance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Streets Department campus.




Notice a damaged or missing sign? Have an idea for a street improvement? Below you will find helpful and informative information on a number of topics related to Citizen Service Request and traffic operations. 

The Streets Traffic Operations crew will generally get back to you within the week.  Include the specific location and a detailed description of the issue.  Photos help speed up a response. Staff reviews each Citizen Service Request (CSR). Frequent or repeated requests don't get more action.  Submitting requests from multiple people through the neighborhood association or a single individual with a list of the supporters will save staff time in evaluating requests and get results faster. Help us serve you better by reviewing the following Frequently Asked Questions before you call us.

Citizen Service Requests are not for:

  • Emergency issues: Call 911
  • Traffic signal outage: Call ODOT Dispatch at (541) 383-0121
  • Code enforcement issues: Complete and submit Complaint Form
  • Speeding enforcement, illegal parking, aggressive driving: Call non-emergency dispatch (541) 693-6911
  • Downtown parking citation issues: Parking FAQ

What is the Citizen Service Request process?

Staff responds generally within one week.

Down arrow.

Staff evaluates per City standards and practices.

Down arrow.

Request implemented, or
Call back, explain why not implemented

Traffic Statistics

So far in 2018, staff have responded to over 500 traffic related requests.  Of the 1,200 traffic related CSR's from 2015 to 2017, the most common requests were concerning speed (motorists going too fast in residential areas) and parking (motorists parking and blocking intersections, driveways, or visibility). Other categories with over 10 percent of the total requests, were stop signs, traffic signals and crosswalks.

Citizen Traffic Requests 2015-2017

Citizen Traffic Request data from 2015 showing 20% requesting parking/curb painting, 17% speed, 11% stop, 11% traffic signals, 11% crosswalk, 31% other (sign, stripe, bike, ped, etc)


How do I request a different speed limit?

To request a speed change, submit a Citizen Service Request.  City staff will review the request and if likely to meet speed change requirements, will submit a request to the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT).  Oregon law requires that ODOT set speed limits following a specific procedure that includes data collection and can take from 6 months to a year to complete. More information: ODOT Speed Zone Brochure

The ODOT engineering study would review if any of these characteristics have changed recently on the street: number of accesses, road width, on-street parking, number of turning vehicles, adjacent development, presence of crosswalks and bus stops, road classification or other characteristics. If traffic has increased but there are no other changes, a speed change may not be supported. Also consider that posting a lower speed limit does not always reduce speeds or increase safety; Street characteristics need to support driving the lower speed. Just putting up a sign with a different speed limit is not often effective at changing driver behavior. Learn more about this on the ODOT Speed Zone FAQ's.

What speed studies are currently in review?

The following speed studies are currently in review or have been completed by the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) in 2019:

3rd Street Arterial Brosterhous Road Murphy Road 45 35 In review, submitted 2/21/18
American Lane

Major Collector

Reed Market Road Brosterhous Road Not posted 35 In review, submitted 7/26/18
Penn Ave/Neff Rd Minor Arterial 8th ST Eastwood 35 25 In review, submitted 10/10/18
Neff Rd Minor Arterial Eastwood Eagle 35 25 In review, submitted 10/10/18

Oregon State statues give motorists the following speed zone standards where there is no posted speed:

  • 15 mph- Alleys, narrow residential roadways
  • 20 mph- Business districts, school zones
  • 25 mph- Residential districts, public parks, ocean shores
  • 55 mph- Open and rural highways (all vehicles); trucks, school buses, worker transport buses on interstate highways
  • 65 mph- Autos on interstate highways

Can I get more speed limit signs to slow traffic?

Generally, adding more speed limit signs does not reduce speeds.

The City installs speed limit signs on arterial and collector streets at the speed limit boundaries and periodically after major intersections.

The City does not generally install speed limit signs on local streets, especially in residential areas. It is expected motorists know the speed is 25 mph on a local residential street. It is more likely motorists are aware of the limit but choose to go faster, thus more signs are not likely to influence behavior and reduce speeds. In limited cases, or repeated speed violations, the City may install a 25 mph speed limit sign on a residential street as a reminder of the speed transition if, the street is a main access to a subdivision, is a multi-block street, collects traffic from other area residential streets and intersects with an arterial street with a speed limit higher than 25 mph.

Can I request a "Deer Warning" sign be installed?

The City of Bend does not install deer warning signs.  We understand citizens are concerned with motorists and wildlife safety; however, deer signs are not demonstrated to change driver behavior or reduce crashes, specially in areas like Bend where wildlife patterns vary by season and location. Injured or dead deer are reported throughout the entire street system, not just in a few locations.

When will a "Dead End" sign be installed?

Dead end or no outlet signs may be installed on streets that do not end in a cul-du-sac, have no public turnaround, and the end cannot be seen from the nearest street intersection. They are generally not installed where streets end in a cul-du-sac.

How do I request a Stop Sign?

Stop signs are used to define who has the right-of-way at an intersection. They are not used to control speeds.

Before a stop sign is installed, an investigation is conducted.  The City follows the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices and Oregon Supplements which, sets criteria for when stop signs can be installed. All-Way stop signs (stops on all approaches) require that certain volumes, crash types, visibility restrictions, or other conditions be met to install. Stop signs can improve traffic safety and flow when planned and used properly.  However, if unnecessarily installed, they may create negative impacts such as motorists ignoring the signs, increased speeding, or decreased safety. Most local street intersections do not meet the criteria for all-way stops.

If you believe a stop sign is needed to define who stops at an intersection, complete a Citizen Service Request and City staff will review and, if potentially meets criteria, will conduct an evaluation.

Can you add a marked crosswalk at an intersection?

Oregon Law states that every intersection is a crossing. Marked or not, motorists are required to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. It is not practical or appropriate to install marked crossings on every block. Instead, marked crosswalks are a tool used in areas where a particular crossing location is highlighted as a better place to cross. The City marks crossings at locations where there is a higher volume of pedestrians, visibility, lighting, sidewalk connections and current ADA ramps.  Depending on the traffic volumes and speeds, additional enhancements such as signs, a raised island, or even flashing beacons may be needed to mark a crossing. Marking crosswalks has shown some improvement in motorists stopping and pedestrians crossing behavior on multi-lane roads, but studies show mixed results on single lane roads.

 If you complete a Citizen Service Request form requesting a marked crosswalk, City staff will conduct an evaluation to see if the location meets guidelines to install.

Who do I call with a Traffic Signal issue?

The City of Bend contracts with ODOT to maintain the City's traffic signals. ODOT has specialty electricians and signal crews, manages signal operations software and operates a 24 hour dispatch center for service calls. City staff works with ODOT to coordinate signal operations and to plan signal updates and improvements.

  • To report a non-functioning traffic signal: Call ODOT Dispatch (541) 383-0121
  • To request a change in signal timing or any other signal issue: Complete a Citizen Service Request or contact the City of Bend Streets and Operations (541) 317-3000 ext. 3

Can I get a Neighborhood Speed Radar sign?

Contact your Neighborhood Association to be placed on the list for a temporary speed radar sign  By requesting a sign through your Neighborhood Association, this will assist in prioritizing locations in your area. 

The Streets & Operations Department and City Police Department have eight moveable speed radar signs that are deployed onto neighborhood streets to help heighten awareness and educate motorists on speed.  The signs display the passing vehicle speed to show motorists how fast they are traveling. The eight speed radar signs are rotated to different neighborhoods monthly from March to November. The Police Department uses information from the signs to target enforcement, if needed.

Starting in 2019, a speed and volume summary from the radar sign data will be available online after the signs are removed.  

Parked cars are blocking my driveway, mailbox, or intersection. Can I get a "No Parking" sign or yellow curb paint?

Driveway or Mailbox- There is no State Statue or City of Bend Code that prevents parking in front of a mailbox or up to a driveway, so the City does not install No Parking signs in these locations.

Street Intersections- Parking may be restricted via a sign or curb painting at intersections where sight distance is limited by repeated illegal parking.  Generally, the City uses signs for longer areas of parking restrictions (such as a whole block) and curb painting for intersections or partial block restrictions. The City is not able to sign or stripe every intersection so the priority is in areas with high volumes of on-street parking and commercial or residential interfaces.  

In 2017, the City resumed a curb painting program that has been suspended for a number of years. Each year crews are refreshing the curb paint in different targeted areas of town where higher incidences of illegal parking is occurring such as downtown, at the colleges (OSU and COCC), near high activity parks and trails, commercial and residential interface areas such as Galveston, medical center and hospital areas, near schools and areas where there has been a parking study.  The program generally includes painting yellow curb 20 feet back from a street intersection or pedestrian crossing. Driveways and alleys are not included.

My street is narrow and it's hard for two cars to pass. Can the City restrict parking on one or both sides?

For newer subdivisions, City Standards include the following parking restrictions:

  • 24 foot wide street- no parking
  • 28 foot wide street- no parking on one side
  • 32 foot wide street- parking allowed on both sides

For some people, the 32 foot wide street with parking on both sides can still seem narrow. The City adopted this standard as a balance between mobility and speed as on-street parking and narrower streets are shown to encourage slower speeds.

Older areas of town may be one or two sided parking with narrower streets than the current standards. Many of these streets are considered "yield" streets as vehicles need to yield to pass each other. The Streets Department may add curb paint to restrict parking at intersections, but installing parking restrictions for the whole block is beyond the scope of street maintenance. For larger parking restriction requests, such as a whole block or larger area, a public process is required to gauge support.  City staff can provide more details on the process.

Can I get speed humps, speed tables, bump outs, traffic circles, or other traffic calming improvements?

For new or updated streets, traffic calming tools such as those listed above are being included as part of some City capital projects or new development projects. For existing streets, the City currently does not have a funded Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program to evaluate, prioritize and build traffic-calming tools. Streets & Operations Department is working with City Council to explore funding a Traffic Calming Program in the future.

What else can I do to slow down traffic in my neighborhood?

Signs and enforcement can only do so much to influence motorists behavior. The most effective speed control is a safety conscious culture. What can residents do to create a more safety conscious culture?

  • Sign up for the speed radar signs to get information on actual speeds and to educate road users how fast they are driving. Many people don't think they are speeding and the signs provide a good check in.
  • Install temporary "slow down, it's our neighborhood" signs and move them around.
  • Include slow speed reminders in your neighborhood newsletters.
  • Talk about speeding: Encourage your friends, neighbors and family to drive the speed limit.
  • Utilize on-street parking. A narrower street can slow down traffic.
  • Set the pace! Drive at the speed limit yourself. A National Highway Safety Council survey found that while most drivers agree everyone should obey the speed limit, 70% of drivers acknowledge they sometimes speed themselves.
  • Allow more time for travel. Driving 10 miles at 25 miles per hour only takes 7 more minutes than driving 35 miles per hour. Accidents happen at any speed, but injuries and damage are more significant at speeds over 25 mph.

What are the parking restrictions?

Park Smart. Avoid a ticket or creating a hazard.  Please park your vehicle at least:

  • 10 feet either side of a fire hydrant
  • 20 feet from a crosswalk
  • Do not block a driveway or alley
  • Where there is no yellow, red, or green curb paint
    • Yellow-  no parking anytime
    • Red-      no parking anytime, fire only
    • Green-   no parking, loading zone
  • Outside of the bike lane (8 inch white lines mark bike lanes)
  • Parking is not allowed in alleys except for less than 15 minutes for loading or unloading if flashers are on.
  • Vehicles may not park in the right-of-way to display "for sale", park for more than five days, park with an expired registration (greater than 30 days), or for vehicle repair.

For more information see Oregon Statute (ORG 811.550) and City of Bend Code 6.20



Report issues or ask a question using the online Citizen Service Request or contact the Streets and Operations Department (541) 317-3000 ext. 3. Thank you

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer

If you need assistance with any document, form, etc.,
you may request assistance from the Accessibility Program.