The Bend Police Department takes pride in our workforce and the beautiful community that we serve. Ready to join our team? Find out more!
We are a progressive, innovative, community based department that acknowledges our most valued assets are the men and women who work at the Bend Police Department. We value teamwork, integrity and excellence with a mission to protect and serve.
WHAT MAKES BEND DIFFERENT
Bend is located along the banks of the Deschutes River and at the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. Bend is an energetic city with a growing population of over 90,000. To the east of the city is high desert vegetation and to the west is US Forest Service land. As the county seat of Deschutes County, Bend covers 33.27 square miles. Bend is noted for its scenic setting, mild climate, growing economy, and diverse and vibrant culture. Locals and visitors engage in year-round outdoor recreation activities such as downhill and cross country skiing, rafting and kayaking, golfing, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and much more.
City of Bend on YouTube
City Edition videos provide insight about current happenings within the different departments of the City of Bend.
READY TO JOIN OUR TEAM?
How to Apply...
Create Your Profile on GovernmentJobs.com for any of the Bend Police Department’s employment opportunities. Our team is comprised of a variety of specialty positions that might be perfect for your unique skill set. Apply today!
To create a profile, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Account". For more information on the account creation process, please view the "FAQ" page. This process can be a bit time consuming, so make sure your account is complete and up-to-date ahead of time. This will make the application process much easier, once the job you are interested in opens.
You may also create a job interest card through your GovernmentJobs account to be notified of future openings.
Officer Position Requirements
- 21 years of age or older
- Completed National Testing Network Frontline test within the past 12 months, or be registered to complete it before the application process closes. If you have already completed this test, be sure to upload a pdf copy of your test scores with your GovernmentJobs application.
- Completed ORPAT testing within the past 12 months.
- A completed GovernmentJobs application, with a current resume and cover letter. Only applications that contain these items will be considered to move forward in the process - incomplete applications will be disqualified.
Timeline for application review...
Applications that are complete will be reviewed and scored. This process requires a great deal of time, thought, and careful analysis. Your patience is appreciated!
Once the screening process is complete, you will be notified of the outcome via email.
If you would like verification that your application is complete, please contact us prior to the application close date: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants that are selected to move forward in the hiring process will be invited for a 10 minute web-based interview.
- Applicants that are selected to move forward from the web interviews will be invited to the Bend Police Department for a 45 minute oral board style interview. This is typically conducted with a panel of three Bend Police Department staff.
- If selected to move forward from oral boards, a interview with the Chief is the next step. During this interview, the Chief may make a tentative job offer, conditional on the following:
- Favorable results on a background investigation
- Successful completion of the Oregon Physical Agility Test (ORPAT)
- Successful completion of a psychological evaluation (if applicable to position)
- Successful completion of a medical evaluation (if applicable to position)
The City of Bend Police Department consider their employees their number one asset and have a number of wide range of benefits for employees.
- Proficiency Incentive Program (PIP): Currently 9% salary increase for DPSST Intermediate certificate or 14% salary increase for DPSST Advanced certificate
- Community Enhancement Program (CEP): Successful participation in our new CEP carries an additional 2% pay incentive (July 2017 - July 2018).
- Specialty Positions: Premium pay incentives for specialty positions (FTO's, Traffic, CERT, etc.)
- Language Fluency Incentive: Earn an additional $1.15/hour for Spanish and ASL proficiency.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees have the ability to accrue up to 90 hours of compensatory time, in addition to applicable vacation and sick time.
- Healthcare:The City of Bend currently pays 90% of employee (and family) health, dental, and vision insurance premiums.
- PORAC: Legal Defense Plan is provided for sworn employees and CSO's.
- Innovative Wellness Program: Includes on-duty workout time, and programs designed to improve longevity and well-being such as yoga and mindfulness training.
- Restorative Rest Program: Allows graveyard Patrol Officers and Supervisors a restorative resting period during their breaks, to include the option of their lunch break.
- Career Enhancement Opportunities: Ability to enhance career through three year rotational positions available for Detectives, Traffic, and SRO's.
- Educational Reimbursement Program: Available through City of Bend.
- Uniforms / Equipment All uniforms and gear required for duty are provided, and uniformed employees receive a maintenance allowance of $30 per month.
- Duty Boots: Reimbursement of $300 every two years for duty boot purchases.
- BPD Association: The Bend Police Department has an excellent working relationship with their Association. Agreements are negotiated every three year
Contact a Recruiter
Have questions about a position that aren't answered by the job description, or elsewhere on our website? Email email@example.com and a recruiter will connect with you shortly.
In order to route your questions to the appropriate person, please include:
- Which position or team you are interested in
- A little bit about your background or experience
- Your phone number and best time to contact you if you would prefer they call you
- Whether you'd prefer to correspond via email
Schedule a Ride-Along
Connecting with someone in the role you're hoping to get hired into is a great way to learn more about the position, and our department.
To schedule a ride-along, please contact the Bend Police Records Division at (541) 322-2960. Let the person you speak with know where you are in the application process, and which position you are applying for so they can schedule you with the appropriate team. The below forms must be completed before your ride-along can be scheduled. Forms can be obtained from the records window during normal business hours, or printed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Being active in the community, both on and off duty, is critical to our mission and our success. We understand that in this digital age, our community extends to our online presence. Connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!