We connect City of Bend residents with City departments through active volunteer participation.
Volunteers will benefit the City by providing a capable resource pool to assist employees and will benefit residents by providing a greater understanding of local government and an opportunity to make a difference. These combined efforts jointly enrich and expand opportunities for the delivery of quality service to the citizens of Bend. We also maintain relationships with other community programs using volunteers and assist in community-wide efforts to recognize and promote volunteerism.
To help recruit and place volunteers, we’ve created a number of programs and partnerships. Our largest programs are listed below but many others exist. You may choose to volunteer in one or more in these areas or in other capacities as supervised and approved by the city.
- Greeting and directing walk-in customers at City Hall, maintaining kiosks and perform other tasks as needed.
- Greeting and leading field trips at the Bend Municipal Airport.
CLERICAL, TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
An opportunity for individuals or businesses to offer assistance, maintain or learn new skills, and network in professional circles of interest.
The City often needs help with its Special Events. Some of these events may be small, like ice cream socials or First Friday, however the city may hold very large scale events needing photographers, greeters, folks to help with informational displays, etc.
Bend Beautification Program is an opportunity for volunteers to improve the esthetics of Bend Oregon by adopting a stretch of road or a plot of land and improving its appearance through litter pickup, weeding and sometimes, planting new vegetation.
- Special Projects (like community gardens)
- Stormwater: A great project for families or individuals, marking stormwater drains in your neighborhood to remind folks not to pollute.
- Yearly "Let's Pull Together" event
CITIZEN REPRESENTATION IN GOVERNMENT
- Citizens appointed to serve on officially recognized City committees, boards, task forces, and commissions.
- The Bend Neighborhood Associations provide residents the opportunity to help shape the future of their neighborhood and the City. Neighborhood Associations maintain and improve the quality of life in the city, increase citizen participation in local decision making, and form an effective partnership between the city and neighborhood residents.
In the event of a disaster, communities depend heavily on volunteers to assist in a variety of important roles including evacuation, First Aid, emergency shelter assistance, etc.
BEND POLICE VOLUNTEERS
Volunteers who relieve field officers from tasks that can be handled by civilians. This includes Disabled Parking Enforcement, Special Events, Mail/Courier, Speed Watch, Abandoned Vehicles, Safety Fairs, Administration Aid, Courtesy Assignments. For more information, visit the Bend Police Department's Citizens Academy.
VOLUNTEERS IN PREVENTION/BEND FIRE DEPARTMENT
Actively supports the fire and life safety public education programs and events. These events include: Firebusters, Team Teaching, 4th of July in the Park, Cascade Children’s Festival, SPARC program, Code Ready Smoke Alarm program, Safety Outreach for Seniors (SOS) program, Juvenile Firesetter Intervention Programs, Fire Prevention Week, and Car Seat Safety Clinics. For more information, visit the Bend Fire Department Volunteers page.