City Hall, City of Bend
- (541) 388-5505
Bend Area Transportation Safety Action Plan
Transportation Safety Action Plan Work Session
Objective: Review and comment on the Draft Safety Action Plan for Bend
Date: July 10, 2019 Time: 10:00 – 12:00 PM
Location: ODOT Region 4 - Bldg M - Diamond/Crater Conference Room 63055 HWY 97, Bend, Oregon
All are welcome to attend.
Agenda - Draft Plan - Presentation
Develop a comprehensive safety program that systematically identifies and prioritizes safety projects and establishes a proactive approach to reducing crashes on all roadways within the City. This initial TSAP will create a baseline from which to measure progress in reducing crash frequency and severity. The City has stated a commitment to conduct future TSAP updates.
Long Term Vision
Short Term Goals:
Apply engineering, education, enforcement, emergency response, and evaluation (a broad base of strategies)
Establish a proactive approach to reducing crashes on all roadways
Incorporate safety performance standards into the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) prioritization process and the development review process
Update roadway design standards to improve safety performance
How does the plan fit with the Bend Transportation Plan updates?
The TSAP will be coordinated with the Bend TSP and MTP updates to result in a consistent set of adopted transportation safety recommendations and emphasis areas.
These recommendations may include any of the following:
• Updating the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) criteria and methods to incorporate safety performance;
• Updating the development review processes to incorporate safety performance;
• Updating roadway standards and standard details based on findings from the TSAP analysis;
• Identifying performance measures to track progress towards achieving the safety goals over time;
• Identifying new programs to improve education and/or enforcement;
• Identifying policy development needs to support the City’s long-term vision;
• Identifying data collection needs to reduce statistical bias in future updates of the TSAP;
• Considering public health connections and opportunities to support State and possible future City goals; and
• Recommending approaches for updating the TSAP (methods, frequency) to maintain a current, proactive Plan while continually enhancing the City’s roadway safety management program.
Study Area and Crash Data
Bend Safety Action Plan will focus on the area within the Urban Growth Boundary (UGB). This project will work in coordination with the Deschutes County TSAP throughout the project. Both projects will share the same crash data set and analysis methods for resource efficiencies.
You can access mapped crash data for the study period of 2012-2016 from Oregon Department of Transportation Crash Analysis on the city's interactive mapping tool. The data is under the Transportation layer. You can view crash data for the entire Deschutes County. Please contact Jovi Anderson if you have any questions with the process or the data.
Sign up to keep up with the project
Sign up for updates to the Bend Transportation Safety Action Plan here:
- 2019.07.10 BMPO TAC TSAP Mtg Agenda
- Bend_DRAFT TSAP_070419_for MPO TAC Review
- Bend2019TSAP_Appendix 1_Framework Memo
- Bend2019TSAP_Appendix 3_Summary of City and MPO Safety Work
- Bend2019TSAP_Appendix 4_Existing Conditions Memo
- Bend2019TSAP_Appendix 5_Crash Diagrams
- Bend2019TSAP_Appendix 6_Regulatory Memorandum
- Bend2019TSAP_Appendix 7_ODOT Crash Reduction Factors
- Bend2019TSAP_Appendix 8_Bend Bikeway Design Guide 2019_opt
- Report__Bend TSAP Existing Conditions Memo FINAL
- 2019.03.06_Memo_TSAP Performance Measure Task2
- 2019.03.06_Memo_TSAP Policies Task3
- 2019.03.06 Bend Area TSAP Draft Existing Conditions Memo
- 2019.1.23 Bend Area TSAP CTAC Brownbag Presentation
- 2018.12.5 Bend Area TSAP -BMPO TAC Meeting Presentation
- 2018.12.5 DRAFT Bend Area TSAP Framework Memo
- 2018.12.5 Bend Area TSAP Study Area Figure