Bend Fire Department car seat clinics - BFD hosts FREE monthly clinics to help parents or any caregiver install their car seats safely and correctly. No appointment needed, drive in service. They are the 3rd Monday of each month at the West Fire Station, 1212 SW Simpson Ave Bend 97702 from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Please bring your car seat with you. Resources for car seats can be discussed at the event with any of our technicians. Other local fire departments host similar events in their areas as well.
- Infants must ride rear-facing until they are two year old, but it is recommended that they remain rear-facing for as long as they remain below the upper height and weight limits of the safety seat.
- Harness straps should be at or below the level of the shoulders when rear facing, at or above the level of the shoulders when forward facing.
- Retainer clip should be at armpit level.
- Harness should be snug (you shouldn't be able to pinch any harness fabric over the shoulder).
- No heavy coats or blankets between your baby and the harness!
- Children must be secured in an approved child safety seat with a harness until they weigh at least 40 pounds.
- Use the vehicle restraint system (seat belt) or the LATCH system (if available), but never both!
- The best child restraint is the one that you will install and use correctly each time!
- Children over 40 pounds must be in a booster seat until they are age 8 OR 4'9" in height; back must touch vehicle seat back and feet must be flat on the floor.
- Make sure you do not pre-crash lock the seatbelt to use with a booster.
- The seatbelt should be in it's normal position with the emergency locking feature.
- Your child should be mentally capable of sitting correctly in a booster for the whole trip. No slouching or turning sideways in the seat! Also, your child needs to keep the seatbelt where it is meant to be, over the thighs and across the collarbone, never behind their head.
- The booster seat requirement does not apply when the rear seat of the vehicle is equipped only with lap belts, provided the child is secured by the lap belt.
A child taller than 4'9" or age 8 or older must be properly secured with the vehicle's safety belt.
The child is properly secured if the lap belt is positioned low across the thighs and the shoulder belt is positioned over the collarbone and away from the neck.
Children 13 and under should always ride in the back seat!