Living on the high desert has many benefits; but a risk to living in this beautiful area is the threat of wildfire, please use this section to find information on how you can reduce your risk of having a fire spread to your home. Bend Fire Department offers free consults for home owners to review their home and look at ways of improving the property to help prevent the spread of wildfires. Call 541-322-6309 to schedule your visit. The links below provide valuable information on what you can do around your home and neighborhood to help reduce the risk of wildfire spreading to your home.
Deschutes County Sheriffs Office is the agency that is in charge of evacuations and preparedness in the Bend area. For information on evacuations and evacuation preparedness visit their website for that information.
New website will provide a one-stop shop for Central Oregon residents on wildfire, public health, smoke, and prescribed fire information!
Many of the resources available on the site were previously available however, this is the first time these resources and information have been consolidated into one place.
The Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Oregon Department of Forestry, Deschutes County, Public Health representatives, Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, Project Wildfire, and The Nature Conservancy collaborated on the site to provide the public a more comprehensive website to answer key questions related to fire, smoke, and health.
May is Wildfire Awareness month in Oregon and the slogan for this month is "Wildfire Knows No Season." Go to ODF's website HERE for more tips and videos on what you can do to help protect your home and neighborhood from the treat of wildfire.
Link under construction - In the mean time please call our main office at 541-322-6300 to schedule a visit.
Below are brochures and handouts that you can use as guides to improving the wildfire safety of your home:
- 10 Easy steps to help protect your home from the threat of wildfire. Simple steps to review your home with and ensure you are prepared in the event of a wildfire.
- Fire Resistant Plant Brochure. Information about plants that are fire safe.
- Tips for plant watering for wildfire preparedness. Information about proper watering techniques to ensure vibrant plants and conserve water all at the same time.
- Wildfire, Wildland, and People: Understanding and Preparing for Wildfire in the Wildland-Urban Interface. A comprehensive guide for developing defensible space and fire adaptive communities. Lots of great information for homeowners and neighborhoods about what can be done to improve the chances of their homes surviving a wildfire.
- Firewise Videos. Videos showing what you can do to help protect your home against the threat of wildfire.
- Firewise Monthly Newsletters. Updates and highlights from wildfire safety from around the country.
Information pertaining to evacuations and preparedness:
- Emergency and Evacuation Preparedness Planning. Information from the Deschutes County Sheriffs Office on disaster preparedness.
- Emergency Evacuation Levels. Information on the different levels of warning and evacuations.
- READY, SET, GO! Handy brochure that can help you prepare for emergencies and evacuations.
Current Fire Information for Central Oregon:
- Central Oregon Fire Information Blog. Find information on current and past fires in Central Oregon.