To protect the health and safety of the community, the City has implemented and enforces codes with respect to snow and ice removal from Bend’s sidewalks.
Many of our neighbors rely on a clear sidewalk to get to and from work, school or bus stops. Without a clear route, it becomes quite difficult or even dangerous for pedestrians to get where they need to. When a sidewalk has not been cleared of snow or ice, pedestrians may be forced to walk in the road causing a dangerous situation for both the pedestrian and the driver. Snow and ice cause pedestrians using mobility devices to have restricted or difficult access to the sidewalk. It is important that the citizens of Bend work together to make sure that all pedestrians have the sidewalk access they need to get to their destinations.
SNOW REMOVAL GUIDELINES
HELPFUL HINTS FOR SNOW REMOVAL
- All commercial properties must remove snow and ice from the sidewalk within six hours of daylight after the snow has fallen
- All residential properties have 24 hours to remove snow after it has fallen.
- When shoveling snow, be sure to keep all of the snow on your property. Snow cannot be moved from the sidewalk into the street.
- The City of Bend’s street crews do their best to keep from plowing snow back up onto the sidewalk however, it may still occur. If the snow plow causes more snow to accumulate on your sidewalk, it is still your responsibility to keep the sidewalk clear.
- If you know of an elderly neighbor or individual who may need help shoveling their sidewalk, please consider doing it for them. Many of our Neighborhood Associations participate in the Good Samaritan Program where an elderly person or person with limited mobility, are adopted for the winter. If you know of someone who might be a great candidate for this program, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (541) 388-5579.
- Code Enforcement has compiled a small list of licensed contractors who a property owner can hire for snow removal maintenance. Please contact Teresa Stovall at (541) 312-7968 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Read about City of Bend's Street Department Winter Operations.
- If you have a complaint regarding snow removal, please fill out and return the code enforcement complaint form.
Thank you for helping to keep the City of Bend safe and accessible for all of our citizens!!