Online Community Survey Available
The City wants to gather feedback about the City and City services, and is asking Bend residents to take 10 minutes to participate in an online community survey. Go to: bendcommunitysurvey.com
12/10/2018 9:43:19 AM
Affordable Housing Public Meeting
Bend residents are invited to attend a public meeting at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 12, in Council Chambers at City Hall, 710 NW Wall Street, to provide input on what affordable housing solutions could ease “rent burden” in Bend.
12/6/2018 10:40:49 AM
Council anticipates vacancy, announces process
The Bend City Council plans to declare a vacancy on the Council on Jan, 2, 2019, when Sally Russell becomes Mayor. Russell will vacate the remaining two years of Council Position 3, with a term expiration of December 2020.
12/5/2018 11:41:42 PM
Public hearing for PZ-18-0791 Type III Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment & Zoning Map Amendment
12/13/2018 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
SE Area Plan Advisory Committee Meeting #1
12/13/2018 5:15 PM - 7:45 PM
FREE Car Seat Clinic
12/17/2018 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
It is an objective of the 2017-2019 Council Goals to propose a City Charter amendment to the voters. On June 21, 2017, the City Council adopted a resolution to establish a committee to consider and recommend Charter amendments to the voters by May 2018.
The City of Bend Charter establishes the governmental structure and procedures for the city.
The Committee is established to complete the following:
• Develop a recommendation on charter language changes for placing a measure on the ballot for a directly elected mayor.
• Consider and make an initial recommendation on whether to place a ward system measure on the ballot, including what type of ward system (number of wards, number of councilors from each ward, and/or a combination of ward and at-large positions).
• Provide a recommendation on removing all Council pay from the charter to be set by Council ordinance.
• If time allows and Council further directs, consider whether to recommend an additional measure be placed on the ballot related to the 2015 Model Charter (League of Oregon Cities).
The Committee includes:
Katy Brooks (resigned due to schedule conflict)
Kathleen Meehan Coop
Bruce Abernethy, Council Liaison
Eric King, City Manager
Mary Winters, City Attorney
Robyn Christie, City Recorder
November 28, 2017
December 4, 2017
December 6, 2017 - presentation to Council at 5 p.m., Council Chambers
December 20, 2017 - City Council Listening Session at 5 p.m., Council Chambers
Charter Review Resources
Ward Electoral Systems in Oregon Cities, John Rehfus
- Livability Conference presentation on governance (Eric King and Dr. Phil Cooper)
- Council Rules
- Ward Interview Summary
- White Paper - Quiet Revolution in CA Local Government
- California Voting Rights Act Reform Spurs Collaboration
- WA Council Election by Wards or Districts
- Seattle City Council Members
The timeline to conduct a public process to consider and recommend Charter Amendments to the voters by May 2018 includes:
Adopting a resolution to create a review committee including membership and project charter statement by June 2017 - complete
Selecting committee by July 2017 - complete
Holding committee meetings July-December 2017
Providing recommendation to Council by December 2017
Council to adopt ballot title resolution by January 2018
Public vote May 2018