The purpose of the Arts, Beautification and Culture Commission was to make recommendations on the appropriate role for the City of Bend to take in supporting Art, Beautification and Culture.
The commission was also tasked with annually identifing appropriate City involvement in arts, community beautification and culture with emphasis on community gatherings, events, cultural tourism and the arts.
The commission was created in January, 2002 and accomplished a great deal in its short tenure. Shortly after forming, the Bend Beautification Awards were created to recognize beautification projects completed in Bend. They commissioned the design and installation of a commemorative award for City Hall honoring the Bend Beautification Award recipients.
The Arts, Beautification and Culture Commission also commissioned art work to commemorate the Bend Centennial in 2005. The four panel art pieces created by Bend artist David Ember is on display at City Hall, located at 710 NW Wall.
The Commission developed, researched and drafted a list of appropriate plants suitable for the high desert in an effort to assist with the City's efforts to find drought tolerant and fire resistant plant materials for local landscaping.
The Commission also developed an ordinance creating a 1% for Art Ordinance for city-owned construction projects to be dedicated as public art. With the assistance of Arts Central, Central Oregon's regional art commission, the ordinance was adopted in 2007.
In 2011, the ABC Commission created City Walls at City Hall, a uniquely-themed, bi-annual juried art show built around the overall theme of inspiring community with art.
In 2016, the Commission worked to recommend Code amendments to allow murals in the Makers' District.
The Arts, Beautification & Culture Awards are an annual opportunity for the City of Bend to recognize individuals, organizations and businesses that have made significant contributions to the celebration, promotion, beautification or preservation of the City’s arts, culture, natural environment or public spaces.
- Susan Luckey Higdon, Tumalo Art Co.
- Rochelle Rose-Schueler and Justyn Livingston, Wild Rose Artworks - ReStore
- Beth Basham, Youth Choir of Central Oregon
2015 ABC Awards
- Cari Dolyniuk and Stuart Breidenstein, The Workhouse
- Jason Heffner, Bend Baseball Fields Volunteer
- Michael Gesme, Central Oregon Symphony, Conductor and Professor of Music at COCC and Chair of the Department of Fine Arts
2014 ABC Awards
- Pamela Hulse Andrews - Cascade A&E
- Bill Hoppe, Central Oregon Community College
- Ray Solley, Tower Theatre
- Doug LaPlaca – Visit Bend Cultural Tourism Fund
2013 ABC Awards
- Dillon Schneider, “Cascade School of Music”
- The Environmental Center for the Kansas Ave. Garden
- Joe Rohrbacher, “Just Joe's Music”
2012 ABC Awards
- Cricket Daniel - playwright
- Pillars of Art at the Visit Bend Welcome Center
- John Forsen -“Violin Masters” video promoting High Desert Chamber Music
- Betsy Warriner - Volunteer Connect
- Paul Stell - Bend Parks and Rec
- COIC Transit Center building Remodel on NE Hawthorn Ave.
- LessonPlan - Tower Theatre Foundation
- Patty Stell - retired City Recorder and champion of the ABC Commission
- Jill Rosell -“I Love Bend, OR” Facebook page
- YU! Yogis Unite - event for all who love yoga
The Commission is currently inactive. For additional information please feel free to contact the City Manager's office at (541) 388-5505.