Running a neighborhood association means taking on a variety of tasks that often cannot be accomplished without some funding.
Neighborhood associations can earn funds from many different sources including fundraisers, grants, events or, most commonly, through reimbursements from the City of Bend.
The City of Bend provides annual grant funding to the Bend Neighborhood Associations based on a dollar amount per tax lot in each neighborhood. This base funding must be used each fiscal year. It is administered in the form of reimbursements rather than up-front cash, which may be approved primarily for the following uses:
- Printing: For instance, creation, set-up and printing of neighborhood-wide meeting agendas, general and special meeting notices, fliers, post cards, newsletters, etc.
- Meeting expenses: Associated with set-up, support, and take- down of neighborhood association general membership meetings and monthly board meetings. This can include food, but not alcohol. Check with the City Communications Department to be sure food purchases are reimbursable.
- Administration/postage: Postage for mailing newsletters, post cards, other notices publicizing the neighborhood associations meetings or other business, copies and supplies used in the conduct of neighborhood association administration.
- Education / training: Prior approval for education or training of neighborhood association officers and committee board members is required. Reimbursement will be limited to registration fees and other expenses as authorized and approved by the City. Courses are restricted to the board members and/or committee heads and pertinent to their position/responsibilities.
- Miscellaneous: Any other expenses must be authorized and approved in advance. The City of Bend provides annual grant funding to the Bend Neighborhood Associations based on a dollar amount per tax lot in each neighborhood. This base funding must be used each fiscal year. It is administered in the form of reimbursements rather than up-front cash.
Use the City of Bend’s Reimbursement Request Form to request reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses. When in doubt about whether something is eligible, call the City in advance to confirm that the expense will be approved for reimbursement.
Active neighborhood associations that used their allotted funding may also apply to receive “roll-over” grant funds on an annual basis. Learn more about this roll-over grant program by reviewing the City’s Rollover Neighborhood Association Funds Program Guide.