Reed Market Rd. is easily the largest and most complex project in the G.O. Bond program.
Because of the challenges of this corridor, the project is being broken into two different phases and several stages of work:
- Newberry west to Third St - Complete November 2015
- Roundabout at 15th - Opened in Fall 2014
- Newberry east to 27th St - Completed in early June 2014
The entire corridor from Third St. to 27th St. is being re-designed and upgraded to two travel lanes with left turn lanes, shoulder/bike lanes and sidewalks separated by a landscaped stormwater swale.
What about the Railroad?
Many comments have been submitted about the need to address the traffic impacts from the trains by constructing an over- or under-crossing as part of this project. The list of projects in the GO Bond approved by voters did not include this element. An over- or under-crossing is very expensive and at this time financially unfeasible. Such a structure would require all or more of the available $18.3 million in project funding, leaving nothing leftover to address other critical safety needs on the 2-mile corridor, such as the failing American Lane bridge, 9th and 15th Street intersections and lack of bicycle and pedestrian facilities. Also, some project elements planned or being considered are expected to help minimize impacts from the railroad, including advance warning signs, a “quiet zone” and improved traffic flow from the turn lanes and intersection improvements.
Major intersections, such as 15th Street, and the Burlington Northern railroad crossing will be improved for better traffic flow. Additionally, the American Lane Bridge over the canal that connects Reed Market with the American Lane Industrial area is being rebuilt west of the current location to provide more separation from the railroad tracks.
New project design details for Reed Market and 15th Street
- Reed Market Mitigation Trifold - Draft
- 12-19-12 Council power point presentation – Train mitigation for roundabout at Reed Market and 15th Street
- Comparison of traffic signal and roundabout at Reed Market and 15th Street
- Reed Market Intersection Evaluation Report - 7/2012
- Reed Market Intersection Evaluation Appendix (6.1 MB)
- Reed Market Rd. - 3rd St. to 9th St.
- Reed Market Rd. - 15th St. Intersection
- Reed Market Rd. - Newberry Dr. to 27th St.