Constructing a complete east-west collector is anticipated to address safety concerns, connectivity, and mobility issues in southeast Bend.
SIGN UP FOR
The Murphy Corridor Improvements Project, which is funded through construction, is part of the City of Bend's Transportation Plan and aligns with City Council's goal to improve the movement of people and products around Bend efficiently, safely, and reliably.
Murphy Road is a busy collector route located in Southeast Bend. The project includes transportation improvements along the existing corridor from Parrell Road to Brosterhous Road, and the extension of Murphy Road from Brosterhous Road over BNSF Railway, connecting to 15th Street at Golden Gate Place.
If you have specific questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call the project phone line (541) 322-9919.
The Brosterhous Road roundabout will open ahead of schedule the week of April 6, weather dependent. Intermittent flagging should be expected as construction work continues around the Brosterhous Road and Murphy Road intersection. The temporary two-lane bypass road will be removed following the opening of the roundabout.
The next phase of construction will begin next week along Murphy Road, between Brosterhous Road and Country Club Road. This work will be completed in multiple stages, with the first stage including a two-lane bypass road to accommodate traffic around the work zone. Drivers can expect the westbound lane to close in June and phased construction to be complete in August. Notification of the summer detour and westbound closure will be sent to the community via email, roadside message boards, project webpage, and traffic control signage. Future phases of construction will be announced as the construction schedule is solidified. To view an exhibit of the described construction, see the Murphy Corridor Improvements - Country Club Dr to Brosterhous Rd Exhibit.
Project Kickoff and February Update
- MOBILITY: Intersection improvements and the addition of a railway overcrossing to reduce delays and significantly improve emergency medical services and fire response times for citizens
- CONNECTIVITY: Improved traffic connectivity to adjoining streets, parks and schools
- SAFETY: Improved visibility at intersections and designated crossings, reduced vehicle conflict
- The selected Design-Builder received notice to proceed for the alternatives analysis phase in January 2019
- Survey and geotechnical work are underway along Murphy, between Parrell and 15th.
- The project team is reviewing previous design efforts and evaluating improvement options available (Alternatives Analysis).
- Spring 2019: Open house to discuss existing conditions, project goals, and solicit community input
- Early Summer 2019: Open house at conclusion of alternatives analysis
- Late Summer 2019: Present design and discuss upcoming construction
- Fall 2019: Construction Begins
WORK COMPLETED TO DATE
Corridor Study completed: 2008 (construction funding reprioritized and project postponed)
Murphy Road Interchange completed: 2015
City Council approves project funding: June 2018
City Council awards preconstruction design contract to K&E/Hamilton: December 2018
Waterline Loop completed: July 2019
15th Street Roundabout completed: October 2019