- Dec 14
This post has 5 like(s)
The Bend City Council invites the public to offer feedback and suggestions related to proposed charter amendments that could change the City’s governance structure. The Council is holding a public listening session starting at 5 p.m. on Wednesday Dec. 20, 2017, in Council Chambers at City Hall, 710 NW Wall Street. Bend City Council 2017-19 Goals include proposing charter amendments to voters to modernize and professionalize how City government operates. The City of Bend Charter establishes the governmental structure and procedures for the city. After months of analysis, a Council-appointed citizen Charter Review Committee recommended that the following charter changes be put to voters on the May 2018 ballot: • A directly elected mayor • Adoption of a ward system o Four councilors elected by wards and two councilors elected at large, or three at-large if an elected mayor is not approved • Removing mayor and council pay language from the charter with compensation to be established by an independent committee and adopted by ordinance
- Dec 07
This post has 5 like(s)
The City of Bend Fire Department recently wrapped up their second annual winter coat drive. Thanks to the generosity of our community, over 100 adult coats and 20 children's coats were collected at Bend Fire Stations then donated to the Bethlehem Inn. "Your heart goes out to somebody. Nobody deserves to be cold," said Mitch Webb, lead organizer and Bend Firefighter/Paramedic.
- Dec 06
This post has 25 like(s)
City of Bend Police Department Sgt. Lawrence brought Marshall the therapy dog by City Hall #inBend today for a little holiday cheer.
For the latest City news, you've come to the right place.
Looking for a particular news article? Try out the search box below.
Just want to look at news related to a specific department or topic? Use the drop-down boxes to narrow your search.
Sign up here to have the City news delivered right to your inbox.
Weekly Road and Traffic Report
Weekly Road and Traffic Report
- Oktoberfest will take place on September 15 – 17 in downtown Bend and will close the following streets:
- Oregon Avenue between Bond Street and Lava Street
- Irving Avenue between Oregon Avenue and Harriman Street
- VR Garage Car Show will take place on September 16 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. and close Armour Road between 9th Street and Bridgeford Boulevard.
- Bend Open Streets will take place on September 17 from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. and close the following streets:
- Olney Avenue between Wall Street and 6th Street
- 6th Street between Olney Avenue and Hawthorne Avenue
- Hawthorne Avenue between 6th Street and 1st Street
- 1st Street between Hawthorne Avenue and Olney Avenue
Event may be canceled without notice if air quality is classified as unhealthy for sensitive groups by the EPA. For more information visit: http://bendopenstreets.org
For the week of:
September 18 – 23
- 2017 City Street preservation work, road closures with detours at night, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.:
- Striping activity will take place on Morningstar Drive, Shepard Road, Division Street, SW Bond Street, SW Industrial Way, 15th Street, Portland Avenue, Shevlin Park Road, Newport Avenue, Wilson Street, and Hill Street.
- Brinson Boulevard between Layton Avenue and Plateau Drive for waterline installation, single lane closure with flagging, 9/19/17, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Third Street between Hawthorne Avenue and Irving Avenue for water valve repair, northbound lane closure with detour in place, 9/20/17, 7:30 p.m. – 12 a.m.
- 18th Street between Empire Avenue and Brinson Boulevard for utilities installation and paving, lane shifts and single lane closures with flagging, 9/18/17 – 9/19/17, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
27th Street Sewer Line traffic updates:
- Single lane closures will be in place on 27th Street between Forum Drive and Neff Road to allow for landscape installation. All turn movements at intersections will remain open.
- Work continues in the 27th Street/Bear Creek Road intersection, but is anticipated to be complete by the end of the week.
- 27th Street is closed to northbound through traffic between Ferguson Road and Bear Creek road, 24 hours a day (However, local traffic can travel northbound between Capella Place and Bear Creek Road and between Ferguson Road and Stevens Road.) The northbound detour is as follows: Northbound 27th Street traffic is directed West on Ferguson Road to 15th Street, then North on 15th Street to Hwy 20 and East on Hwy 20, back to 27th Street
- CLOSURE CONTINUES – Reed Market Road is closed to all traffic, between 27th Street and Camelot Place/Daly Estates Drive (including the Camelot/Daly Estates intersection). This closure restricts access to the easterly most section of Reed Market Road only. Reed Market Road will remain open between 15th Street and Camelot Place/Daly Estates Drive. Detours are on Ferguson Road to 15th Street. Southbound traffic on 27th Street remains open; northbound traffic is closed. This closure is anticipated to be in place until late September.
- Intersection of NW Broadway Street and NW Delaware for waterline replacement project, road closures with detours clearly marked for thru traffic, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. daily with roads opened nightly. Motorists are encouraged to avoid this area and use Bond Street and Wall Street. Project and detour info: http://www.bendoregon.gov/city-projects/city-infrastructure-projects/broadway-and-riverside-waterline-replacement
- Delaware Avenue between Broadway Street and Jefferson Place and Jefferson Place between Broadway Street and Delaware Avenue, temporary road closures for Cascade Natural Gas paving, roads open at night, 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Nels Anderson Road between Nels Anderson Place and Brandis Court, single northbound shoulder closure will be in effect, two-way traffic to be maintained. Project completion expected December 2017. Info: www.bendoregon.gov/northsewer
Yates Drive between Mt. Washington Drive and Chandler Avenue for utility construction and road improvements, road closure, 9/5/17 – 9/19/17.
Upcoming closures and changes:
- 27th Street between Reed Market Road and Ferguson Road for road paving, full road closure with detour, pilot car will assist with local traffic access, 7 p.m. – 7 a.m., 9/25/17 – 9/26/17.
- Intersection of Parrell Road and Brosterhous Road for water valve abandonment, single lane closures with flagging, 9/26/17 – 9/27/17, 7 p.m. – 6 a.m.
- Butler Market between Third Street and Highway 97 exit ramp, night work closure of multiple lanes impacting both east- and west-bound traffic.
- Intersection of Portland Avenue and 11th Street signage change expected by September 28: The stop signs at the intersection of Portland Avenue and 11th Street will be permanently switched to stop traffic on 11th Street and allow for non-stop traffic flow on Portland Avenue. The sign change will be implemented by September 28. Additional signage will be provided to notify drivers for about a month.
Reasons for the sign switch include:
- Citizen requests for safety and visibility
- Portland Avenue has a higher Street Classification as a Major Collector
- Portland Avenue has higher traffic flow volume
- Portland Avenue has a bicycle lane
- 11th Street does not meet traffic volume criteria standards for non-stop traffic flow
Work schedules are dependent on weather conditions and other factors.
Visit www.bendoregon.gov/streets for information about the 2017 Street Preservation and Maintenance Program.
Visit www.bendoregon.gov/bendprojects for an interactive map and information about City of Bend infrastructure projects.
Contact: Kyle Thomas, Construction Manager, 541-323-8519, firstname.lastname@example.org