The Community Climate Action Plan (CCAP) is a set of strategies that will guide both the City and the community as we work together to reduce our fossil fuel use.
The ad hoc Climate Action Steering Committee will develop a plan that recommends actions to City Council that encourage and incentivize businesses and residents to voluntarily reduce fossil fuel use.
The public comment period on the Community Climate Action Plan is open now. Visit the Online Open House to learn what is recommended for the plan and give your feedback.
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
STEERING COMMITTEE (CASC)
A plan to reduce fossil fuel use in Bend
The CCAP is a set of strategies that will guide both the City and the community as we work together to achieve fossil fuel reduction goals established by City Council Resolution 3044. The City formed the Climate Action Steering Committee to engage the community and recommend actions to City Council. The actions will encourage and incentivize businesses and residents, through voluntary efforts, to reduce GHG emissions and fossil fuel use.
Climate Action Vision: Neighbors businesses, and community leaders working together to preserve our natural environment while promoting economic opportunity and resilience for current and future generations.
Forming strategies to encourage voluntary action
The CCAP will provide a strategic plan, for City Council to consider and adopt, that encourages the Bend community to take voluntary actions to meet the following goals:
- Develop and implement a Community Climate Action Plan that serves as a roadmap in supporting our community's path to a sustainable future.
- Harness the resources and talents within Bend's community to take practical action across a wide range of sectors and activities.
- Achieve a 40% decrease in fossil fuel use by 2030 and a 70% decrease by 2050 (from a baseline year of 2016).
Additionally, the CCAP will:
- Seek co-benefits of reducing fossil fuel use, such as cost-saving, efficiency, public health, social equity, and other environmental enhancement opportunities.
- Establish ways of measuring effectiveness and tracking progress on actions through benchmarks and project specific targets.
- Identify implementation partners throughout the community responsible for collaborating on community-wide solutions.
- Identify low-cost projects that are possible to implement in the near term, as well as investigating longer term projects.
- Support the goals of other planning efforts, such as the City's Transportation System Plan and Deschutes County's Solid Waste Management Plan.
- Provide a pathway for the City and community to evolve in a manner that balances social, environmental, and financial costs and benefits.
Achieving our goals together
The City of Bend has convened a Climate Action Steering Committee (CASC) to engage the community and guide CCAP development because the City recognizes that we alone cannot achieve community-wide fossil fuel use reduction goals. The City must work with the community to share responsibility for reducing overall fossil fuel use, and community members must be willing to act. The CCAP planning process allows for the community to directly engage and partner with the City to achieve our climate action goals and create an action plan that is right for Bend.
The CASC is made up of 13 individuals appointed by City Council who represent Bend's diverse community, including the business community, the environmental community, youth community, other local government and institutions, and at-large members.
Help us make a plan that is right for Bend
Community involvement is extremely vital to the development of the CCAP. The City and the Community are co-creating the CCAP, and responsibility for implementation will be shared between the City and community partners. CASC members are responsible for leading outreach activities and serve as a liaison for their respective communities.
Get involved in the CCAP development through these opportunities:
- Attend a CASC meeting. All CASC meetings will be open to the public and will include time for public comment.
- Request a meeting with staff. City staff are available to provide updates to local organizations or community groups.
- Visit the CASC web page. The CASC web page will be regularly updated for you to keep track of meetings and activities of the CASC.
- Find information and ask questions. The CCAP web page will include documents related to the CCAP development. You can ask questions and sign up for email alerts below.
This webpage will be updated regularly with the progress of the C-CAP and the link to CASC activities. Sign up to receive email updates for project news and events. You must sign up for updates about events and updates about news separately.
To learn more about what the CCAP:
- Read the CCAP Vision and Guiding Principles
- Read the CCAP Sector Objectives
- Read the 2016 greenhouse gas emissions inventory report
- Read the proposed actions for different sectors:
SIGN UP FOR PROJECT UPDATES
Meet Our New Sustainability Coordinator
Cassie has several years of experience in sustainability planning and facilitating collaborative sustainability initiatives in a diverse range of sectors and industries. Most recently, she worked in the University of Washington system, starting the first sustainability office for the Bothell campus, leading their strategic planning efforts for sustainability, and developing engagement and outreach strategies. She received her Masters degree from Arizona State University’s School of Sustainability, and in her time in Arizona worked in the consulting and non profit sectors, building new programs to advance sustainability goals for both the private and public sectors and at scales ranging from independent small businesses to a regional collaborative of municipal entities. She is excited to bring lessons learned from all these projects to the City of Bend. In her free time, she enjoys mountain biking, skiing, hiking, and many other ways of being active in the outdoors, and can’t wait to explore the trails of Central Oregon.
- Updated: 05/08/2018
- CCAP Survey Results Summary
- Energy Supply Proposed Actions
- Building Energy Proposed Actions
- Transportation Proposed Actions
- Waste & Materials Proposed Actions
- CCAP Vision
- CCAP Sector Objectives
- Bend Community GHG Inventory Report
- Bend Community GHG Inventory Presentation
- CASC Charge Letter_Final
- Council Objective Strategies - Energy Efficiency
- Resolution No. 3044
- Resolution No. 3099
- Resolution No. 3099 Amendment