Animal Control

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

    The Bend Police Department provides animal control services based on the current priority of pending police calls. The Bend Police Department does not have a dedicated Animal Control Division that handles animal control calls this means animal control calls compete with all other police calls for service. During times of public emergency such as storms / server weather or short falls in department personal the Department may suspend responses to animal calls.  See the below listed topics for further information.

Dogs at Large:

    Dogs are required to be controlled on a tethered leash inside the City of Bend except in an approved Bend Parks and Recreation dog park or on private property with the property owner’s permission. Bend City Code 5.20.025 (violators can be fined up to $330 to $460 and the dog could be impounded).

    Dogs found running at large without a known owner can be taken to the Humane Society of Central Oregon located at 61170 SE 27th Street Monday through Saturday 10:30 am to 4:30 pm (excluding holidays). If you locate a stray dog but are not able to take the dog to the Humane Society you may request a pickup from the Bend City Police Department seven days a week from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm. by calling the non-emergency number at 541-693-6911. This service is offered on the current priority list of pending police calls for service. This service may not be offered all the time depending on call load.

Barking Dogs:

    Dogs that disturb the public or neighborhoods by excessive barking could be considered a violation of Bend City Code 5.20.040 (violators can be fined up to $550 to $ 810). The Bend Police Department encourages neighbors to address barking dog issues with their neighbors by either politely speaking with them or leaving a written letter for the dog owner. If this fails to correct the issue please contact the non-emergency number at 541-693-6911 with the address where the dog lives when the dog is barking. The Bend Police Department does not take anonymous animal control complaints. 

Cougar Sightings:

    The Bend Police Department responds to cougar sightings that may pose a danger to the public. The cougar is a native animal of Oregon and are often seen in the Central Oregon area. See the following Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife website for more information and for safety tips relating to cougars:

Dog Bites: 

    Dogs bites or attacks that are the result of a dog being at large or an unprovoked attack should be reported immediately to the Bend Police Department at 541-693-6911 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Bend City Code 5.20.040 (violators can be fined up to $550 to $810 and the dog could be impounded)

Dog Licensing:

    Oregon State Law and the Bend City Code require all dogs to be licensed by the County. This is required for dogs that are six months old or have a set of permanent canine teeth. The dog is required to wear the license. Vaccinating and licensing your dog helps prevent the spread of rabies in domestic animals and will help us return your dog if it were to be found running at large. Bend City Code 5.20.020 (violators can be fined up to $550 to $810 and the dog could be impounded) 

        Dog licenses may be obtained at the Deschutes County Dog Licensing Officer located at 1300 NW Wall St. #300 541-388-6637 or the Humane Society of Central Oregon 61170 SE 27th St. 541-382-3537. Dog licensing fees are $30 for unaltered dogs and $16 for spayed or neutered dogs. A current rabies certificate from your vet is required to obtain a license.

Wildlife / Deer:

    Wildlife in the state of Oregon falls under the control of the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (this includes skunks and raccoons). The Bend Police Department will respond to emergency wildlife calls that pose a danger to the public. Some examples of this would be motor vehicle accidents involving a deer where the deer is unable to walk or a deer entangled in fencing. The Department does not respond to injured deer that are able to stand and walk. Unfortunately deer walking with broken or missing legs are common in the city limits due to deer have encounters with traffic.

    During the spring time it is common to find unattended new born fawns inside the city limits. It is common for female deer to leave the newborn fawns for up to 24hrs unattended while the female deer feeds. It is important to leave the fawn where you find it and do not move or handle the fawn. Female deer are very protective of fawns and have been known to attack people and/or dogs when they feel their fawn is threatened. If the fawn is located in a dangerous place such as the middle of a street or the front door of a business please contact the Bend Police Department or the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife for further assistance at 541-693-6911.