Living on the high desert has many benefits; but a risk to living in this beautiful area is the threat of wildfire, please use this section to find information on how you can reduce your risk of having a fire spread to your home. Bend Fire Department offers free consults for home owners to review their home and look at ways of improving the property to help prevent the spread of wildfires. Call 541-322-6309 to schedule your visit. The links below provide valuable information on what you can do around your home and neighborhood to help reduce the risk of wildfire spreading to your home.
Deschutes County Sheriffs Office is the agency that is in charge of evacuations and preparedness in the Bend area. For information on evacuations and evacuation preparedness visit their website for that information.
KNOTT LANDFILL May 6th to 14th 7am to 5pm
61050 SE 27th St, Bend OR 97702
SIMPSON AVE COLLECTION SITE May 5th/6th and 12th/13th 8am to 4pm
19755 Simpson Ave, Bend OR 97702 (between Century Dr and Mt Washington Dr)
These collection sites will be taking yard debris for half the price per yard than normal! This is aimed to help cut the cost of developing and maintaining defensible space around your home and property. Visit www.FireFree.org for more information on defensible space and how to create and maintain defensible space.
May is Wildfire Awareness month in Oregon and the slogan for this month is "Wildfire Knows No Season." Go to ODF's website HERE for more tips and videos on what you can do to help protect your home and neighborhood from the treat of wildfire.
Below are brochures and handouts that you can use as guides to improving the wildfire safety of your home:
- 10 Easy steps to help protect your home from the threat of wildfire. Simple steps to review your home with and ensure you are prepared in the event of a wildfire.
- Fire Resistant Plant Brochure. Information about plants that are fire safe.
- Tips for plant watering for wildfire preparedness. Information about proper watering techniques to ensure vibrant plants and conserve water all at the same time.
- Wildfire, Wildland, and People: Understanding and Preparing for Wildfire in the Wildland-Urban Interface. A comprehensive guide for developing defensible space and fire adaptive communities. Lots of great information for homeowners and neighborhoods about what can be done to improve the chances of their homes surviving a wildfire.
- Firewise Videos. Videos showing what you can do to help protect your home against the threat of wildfire.
- Firewise Monthly Newsletters. Updates and highlights from wildfire safety from around the country.
Information pertaining to evacuations and preparedness:
- Emergency and Evacuation Preparedness Planning. Information from the Deschutes County Sheriffs Office on disaster preparedness.
- Emergency Evacuation Levels. Information on the different levels of warning and evacuations.
- READY, SET, GO! Handy brochure that can help you prepare for emergencies and evacuations.
Current Fire Information for Central Oregon:
- Central Oregon Fire Information Blog. Find information on current and past fires in Central Oregon.