Burning Regulations and Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Recreational fires, campfires and warming fires are still allowed but we ask you take extra precaution with these fires. Please follow all safety tips in the burn regulations and ensure your fire is completely extinguished and cold to the touch before leaving it. Failure to comply with these regulations may result in a citation and/or being reported for DEQ.

Click on the brochure to the right to download a current copy of the City of Bend and Deschutes County Rural Fire Protection District #2 Outdoor Burning Regulations.

In order to burn, you must do the following:

  • Know if the burning you want to do is allowed were you are at, whether you are in the city or not, see below for more details on what is allowed in the city and our rural area.
  • Have a copy of the burn regulations on site
  • Obtain any needed permits for the fire
  • Follow all requirements within the burn regulations and permit
  • Call the burning information line at 541-322-6335 just before you light your fire to ensure burning is open for the day. Burning can be closed day to day due to weather conditions or fire season.
2016 Burn Regs cover page 

Be sure to call the burn information line EACH DAY before you burn to ensure burning is open that day. 541-322-6335


City of Bend: No open debris burning is permitted within the city limits of Bend. Debris burning includes burn piles, burn barrels, weed burners and similar type fires. Recreational fires for the purpose of warming, cooking or pleasure are still permitted as long as they meet the guidelines in the outdoor burning regulations for recreational fires.

DCRFPD #2: Debris burning is permitted seasonally outside the city limits of Bend, within the DCRFPD #2 borders. Burning is generally open from November to May depending upon fire season. Debris burning includes burn piles, burn barrels, weed burners, ditch burning, field burning and similar type fires. Some types of fires require permits. Call our office at 541-322-6300 to determine if a permit is required or not. 

Complaints or concerns about burning: Bend Fire Department will respond to reports of illegal or unsafe burning when requested. But we ask that before you call 911, our non-emergency dispatch (541-693-6911) or main office (541-322-6309) that you attempt to make contact first to see if correction can be made without our intervention. This will help leave fire engines available for emergency fire and medical calls. If the fire has escaped, please call 911 immediately. For air quality complaints, please call Oregon DEQ at 541-388-6146. 

Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) Protection areas: There are areas within the Bend Fire Department jurisdiction that are also protected by ODF. In these areas there may be other rules and regulations pertaining to burning that you may need to comply with. This includes landowners under the Oregon Forest Practices Act. Please contact ODF at their Sisters office at 541-549-2731 for more information on burning. More information can also be found on ODF's website.

Burn Permits: Burn permits are required for a number of burning practices to ensure they are being done safely and properly to lessen the risk of the fire escaping. To obtain a permit, contact 541-322-6309 to schedule an inspection. Permits are $15 each and are typically good for the calendar year. Permits are required for the following:

  • Agricultural burning including ditches, fence lines and fields. 
  • Large piles of debris (larger than permitted in the burn regulations)
  • Commercial burning of any type
  • Special type fires such as bon fires

For ODF Burn Permits: Go to this link and fill out the online form to request a permit: Oregon Department of Forestry burn permit information

Click HERE to request a burn permit inspection or consultation on safe burning practices. 

Burn barrels: Burn barrels can be used for debris burning outside the city limits of Bend but must follow the same regulations as open debris burning. Barrels need to be kept away from combustible construction and shall have a metal mesh lid on them to prevent embers from escaping. Mesh to cover burn barrels can be purchased at Bend Steel Supply. There may be other locations in Central Oregon that sell the mesh too. 

Commercial Burning Operations: Any burning that is considered a commercial operation shall obtain a burning permit from the Bend Fire Department. Prior to the burn permit being issued, permission from Oregon DEQ shall be obtained for the burning. DEQ permission is required for any commercial burning within 3 miles of the city limits of Bend or any location where commercial debris is brought to a property to burn. Contact the DEQ offices in Bend at 541-388-6146 to obtain the needed permission or for more information on allowable commercial burning. Click HERE for DEQ's website pertaining to burning. 

Burning regulations are also available at any fire station or downloaded here:

If you have questions or would like a free consult of your burning site, please feel free to contact the Fire Prevention Division of the City of Bend Fire Department at (541) 322-6309 to schedule your consult. 

If you are unsure if you are inside the city limits or not please contact the Fire Prevention Division of the City of Bend Fire Department at (541) 322-6309. To find out if you are in within ODF's protection area, please call their Sisters office at 541-549-2731.

EXTREME FIRE DANGER SEASON WARNING: During fire season when Bend Fire Department is in Extreme fire danger level, all burning violations can result in a citation for violation of either the City of Bend or DCRFPD#2's burning ordinances. Also during these extreme fire danger times, ALL types of fires can be banned by the Fire Chief or Fire Marshal, including campfires, warming fires and cooing fires. Call burn line at 541-322-6335 to confirm burning is allowed each time.

Coverage Area Map

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer

If you need assistance with any document, form, etc.,
you may request assistance from the Accessibility Program.