SPRING CONSTRUCTION HAS BEGUN
Expect construction activities on the EAST side of Third St. (northbound) between Reed Ln. and Wilson Ave. and on the WEST side of Third St. (southbound) between Powers Rd. and Reed Ln.
The City of Bend is currently working with the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) to provide our community with a continuous pedestrian corridor along South Third Street between Wilson Avenue and Powers Road. Third Street is a high-traffic corridor and this 1.2-mile portion has a poor rating for pedestrian facilities and was prioritized for needing improvement by the City of Bend’s Accessibility Advisory Committee (COBAAC).
The project that is underway will enhance pedestrian accessibility and safety, improving the overall function of the transportation system.
- Installation and rehabilitation of sidewalks
- Constructing new curb ramps that are Americans with Disability Act (ADA) compliant
- Replacing existing ramps that are out of ADA compliance
- Providing ADA compliant bus stop waiting pads for Cascades East Transit (CET) rider use
- Enhanced bicycle lanes with conversion of stormwater catch basin grates to curb inlet catch basins
- Replacing non-standard water meter boxes and service lines
The same South Third Street roadway limits, Wilson Avenue to Powers Road, are currently scheduled to receive a full width street preservation treatment after the completion of the sidewalk construction project.
Project Estimated Timeline
- Spring 2016 - Design Complete
- Week of September 26, 2016 - Construction Begins
- Mid-November through March - Construction Break for Winter Weather
- March 2017 - Construction Resumes
- July 2017 - Construction Complete
Please visit this webpage for project updates. For more information contact City of Bend Project Manager Jason Suhr at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-330-4000 and Accessibility Manager Karin Morris at Accessibility@bendoregon.gov or (541) 693-2141.